Everyone loves music. Whether one hears it at home or at some party, we just appreciate sounds and melody. But we always want to bring sounds and music with us even outside of our homes, during our outdoor activities. Boating, being one of our favorite outdoor adventures, can also be more remarkable when you have music with you.
Of course, this can only be achieved with a quality speaker. While there are many marine speakers available out there, surely you might be asking what are good marine speakers and who makes the best marine speakers. Don’t worry, for this article will explore several things that you need to look for when you’re buying speakers for your boat. You will also read ten of the top-rated speakers you can choose from in the hopes that you’d really know what are the best marine speakers for you.
- 1 Things to Consider in Buying the Best Marine Speakers
- 2 Top 10 Best Marine Speakers
- 2.1 Kicker 2-Way Full Range Indoor Outdoor Marine Speakers
- 2.2 Pyle Marine Bluetooth Stereo Radio
- 2.3 Kenwood Marine Outdoor Bluetooth Stereo
- 2.4 BOSS Audio Marine Bluetooth Speaker
- 2.5 Infinity Reference High-Performance 2-Way Marine Loudspeaker
- 2.6 Sony 2-way Marine Speaker
- 2.7 Pioneer 2-Way Marine Speakers
- 2.8 Wet Sounds Marine Coaxial Speakers
- 2.9 Fusion Electronics Marine 2-Way Full Range Speakers
- 2.10 Fusion Marine 2 Way Loudspeaker
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 Related Tips & Reviews
Things to Consider in Buying the Best Marine Speakers
Buying speakers for your boat may be confusing at first. They vary in sizes, installation, and, more importantly, they vary in performance, so it is important that you know the factors to consider in choosing the best marine speakers:
You need to consider the size of your speaker and if it is appropriate for your boat. Is there enough space in which you can place your speaker? Is it large enough to provide the sound you need? Manufacturers often tell the size of the speaker cone, but of course, you need a casing for it, so it is very important that you know its size to understand if it will really fit the cutout hole of the speaker’s grill.
Also, need to consider how the speaker would be mounted. Some may be mounted in the open air and others you can place on a platform. You need to identify if there is any place in your boat you can mount your speakers from, and if doing so would keep it away from too much hazard.
You need to know how much power your speaker could handle. If not more than what your stereo or amplifier could provide, the power that can be handled by your speaker must at least be equal. For instance, if a stereo head is rated at 200 watts when it comes to its peak power, your speakers must also handle 200 watts. However, some stereo head unit could have four channels, meaning, if you have four speakers, each speaker must be able to handle 50 watts.
Now that you know the set-up of your speaker, it would also be important if you know how to scrutinize your speakers’ quality. There are a couple of types of speaker you need to consider, with each type having different features:
- Dual-Core – while these are the least expensive among all types, these are also regarded to have the lowest quality. Having only one speaker driver, this type of speaker has two cones that produce sound. The smaller one gives out the higher frequencies while the larger produce bass and midrange.
- Coaxial – sometimes called two way or three-way speakers, a coaxial speaker is actually a single speaker wrapped around another, with the passive crossover that divides the frequencies among the speakers. While these are better than dual core speakers, they can be too expensive. Sometimes, when vibrations interfere with one another, the speakers create what is called cross phase distortion.
- Component – Although quite similar to coaxial speakers, the tweeter of a component speaker is separated completely from its woofer cone, which would eliminate the cross phase distortion that is faced when coaxial speakers are used. However, this is a bit more expensive than coaxial speakers.
- Subwoofers – An extension of the component speaker, this type adds another speaker that could handle the lowest frequencies. Because this type of speaker is smaller, it won’t occupy too much space when placed in your boat.
Top 10 Best Marine Speakers
Now, what are the best marine speakers available in the market? We have chosen the top ten of them to expand your choices:
Kicker 2-Way Full Range Indoor Outdoor Marine Speakers
This pair of speakers is ideal for outdoor and indoor use. What’s great about this product is that it is mounted in an open air and is very versatile. This can easily be installed on the ceiling or on the wall and may be placed vertically or horizontally. It creates a great sound with its high-efficiency speaker system that provides a load of 8-Ohm and is compatible with most stereo receivers at home or in your boat, producing crystal clear music. If you don’t want it mounted, you can also use it as a bookshelf speaker since it comes with rubber feet to keep it secured on any surface.
- 75 Watts RMS with 150 Watts peak
- The 6.5-inch woofer and a compression-loaded horn tweeter that is 2×5 in
- Uses polypropylene cones and Santoprene surrounds
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Very versatile
- Easy to install
- Perfect bass, mids, and treble
- Clear music output
- Limited range
Pyle Marine Bluetooth Stereo Radio
What’s really nice about this device is, as its name suggests, its wireless connectivity. Its Bluetooth wireless music streaming allows you to stream music directly from any of your mobile devices like iPhone, Android, and other smartphones. Also, it would allow you to play any internet radio services.
Not only can this play music this speaker would also allow you to receive calls because of its in-built microphone, with the telephone number being displayed in the LCD panel display. This package comes with a remote control as well.
- Contains flash drive and memory cardreaders
- Comes with auxiliary connector jack
- Maximum power of 300 watts
- Built-in Bluetooth
- An in-dash stereo receiver system
- Bluetooth wireless range of 40 ft.
- Wireless connectivity
- The sound is not of high quality
Kenwood Marine Outdoor Bluetooth Stereo
This set of speakers come in two pairs, which you can complement with a stereo and an antenna. Its available ports allow for connection with different devices like the iPhone and other smartphones. This is simple to install as there are instructions to tell you how to assemble the set. More importantly, this is a great speaker system, considering that it comes in two pairs, it could reverberate sounds in different directions you can also conveniently dictate. The remote and the speakers are also waterproof so it would be very appropriate for your boating adventure.
- 200 Watts peak power
- Features injection-molded polypropylene cone woofer
- Features AM/FM radio, CD player, and removable faceplates.
- Easy to install
- A bit expensive
BOSS Audio Marine Bluetooth Speaker
Like the Kenwood speaker, this set comes with two pairs. With its weatherproof and waterproof amplifier, you can trust the durability of this product and the quality of its sound output. This is flexible as it is compatible with most devices like the iPhone and other smartphones. Aside from being water resistant, it is also dustproof. It comes with a 10-foot extension cable. Most of its parts are carefully coated so you don’t need to worry about having to use this when you are in your outdoor adventure.
- 4-Ohm Stable
- Could do wireless streaming through Bluetooth
- Features a short protection system, shutting off amplifier when the speaker gets too hot
- Features a USB charging
- 360 Watts peak
- Great sound quality
- Easy to install
- Coated materials
- Some costumes have issues with its durability
Infinity Reference High-Performance 2-Way Marine Loudspeaker
This pair of speakers uses polypropylene cones that are lightweight and stiff, so it is easier to carry and easier to install compared to other speakers. What makes this remarkable is its protection against UV lights which may harm the speakers. It is also free from any moisture contamination to ensure the product’s durability. With mounting made out of stainless steel and with cast polymer that is corrosion-proof, you can be assured that the product is protected from any water and salt damage.
- With a frequency response of 50Hz – 20kHz
- Watts peak at 225 watts
- With a mounting depth of 2-5/8 inches
- Easy to mount
- Very appropriate for outdoor adventure because of its water resistance
- Grills are difficult to remove in case the speaker needs cleaning
Sony 2-way Marine Speaker
Compared to the aforementioned speakers, this one is less expensive but works well. You can use it in your boating adventure since this uses water-resistant materials and is IPx5 certified. Aside from this, this is also UV-resistant so you are ensured of its durability. Producing quality sound, this product has a front or rear mounting with its removable grill in case you want to clean the speaker and enhance its audio output.
- 160 watts peak
- Two-way speakers
- Grills may be repainted for matching
- Easy to install
- Good quality sound
- Small size, so easy to carry
- Might not last very long
Pioneer 2-Way Marine Speakers
With the same level of affordability as the Sony speakers, this lightweight and easy to install speakers are resistant to water moisture, heat, and corrosion. It features a magnetic fluid and equalizer, with its grills that are elegant and removable.
- It has protected and sealed magnet circuit
- With a 30Hz – 30kHz frequency response
- The sensitivity of 91dB and Ohm Rating of 4
- Gold-plated lead wire and connection terminals
- 160 Watts peak
- Easy to install
- Easy to carry
- Water and heat resistant
- Speaker connectors are not of the same size so it might be confusing during installation
Wet Sounds Marine Coaxial Speakers
Although quite more expensive than the previous speakers, this pair of speakers is of the same structure as the Sony and Pioneer speakers with some additional features. By simply screwing it on the surface, this speaker is relatively easy to mount. It maintains a great quality of sound output and is resistant to heat and water.
- 100 Watts peak
- With a diameter of 6.8 inches
- Has mounting depth of 3.1 inches
- Easy to install
- Small and does not occupy too much space
- Quite expensive
Fusion Electronics Marine 2-Way Full Range Speakers
This high-performance speaker is definitely suitable for your marine adventure, with its ability to withstand even the harshest marine environment, complying to International ASTM standards when it comes to UV Stability and Fog and Salt resistance. Waterproof and dustproof, you can be assured that this pair of speakers could last long.
- 200 watts peak
- Mounting depth of 3”
- Uses CURV Cone technology
- Tweeter made of titanium
- Does not occupy too much space
- Easy to install
- Quality music
- Waterproof, heat resistant, and dust proof
- There is not much Bass
Fusion Marine 2 Way Loudspeaker
Not only is this pair of speakers affordable, but it is also resistant to water and dust. This is fully sealed so it can be protected with any foreign molecules that would disrupt its function. White in color, it has an elegant design and effect grill designs. You can also choose from three grill designs.
- 200 Watts peak
- 6” in diameter
- Great sound definition
- Great grill designs
- Small and does not occupy much space
- Does not come with any other additional features
Choosing the best speaker is really important as it affects your overall boating experience. Hopefully, this article has helped you identify the ways through which you can select a great speaker. It needs a balance between quality and affordability. With the top 10 marine speakers that you have read, you can hopefully identify which would work best for your situation and pick that which really fits your desire.