Are you looking to elevate your fishing experience? A fishing kayak may not be the first item that comes to your mind when you are thinking of ways to make the fishing trip more delightful.
Let me tell you, that was the case for us too!
When we got Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS as our first fishing kayak, we had not expected much even though we looked forward to it.
Lo and behold, Sun Dolphin’s fishing kayak has a lot to offer.
Get to know how this item made our family fishing trips extra special and how this can make yours too!
At A Glance
|Sun Dolphin Journey 10-Foot Sit-on-top Fishing Kayak|
– Two scuppers to drain water inside the kayak
– It has a removable Portable Accessory Carrier or PAC
What makes Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS unique?
Generally, kayaks look simple from a distance, it is something that you ride on to get across the water and enjoy leisure time with family.
Fishing kayaks, on the other hand, accommodate all the anglers’ needs from mobility space to storage so you can try out your fishing rig without falling over from moving too much or leaving a crucial tool on the shore.
With Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS, you can freely enjoy both leisure and immersion in the sport without any problem. You can use this on lakes, rivers, bays, or as alternative transportation to get to a nearby fishing hotspot.
It houses several features that can make you pause and think if it is worth the investment — like it did to us!
Lightweight and Portable
Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS is one of the many middle-ranged sit-on-top kayaks, weighing 44 pounds and is 10 feet long. Compared to most kayaks, this is lightweight and easy to move around given that it offers enough room for an angler carrying many items.
It is made with Rugged UV-stabilized Fortiflex® High-Density Polyethylene so it is pretty lightweight but does not sway easily with or without any items or person on it.
Storage and Capacity
The Journey 10 has a removable Portable Accessory Carrier or PAC that you can use for extra storage which you can carry around whenever you wish.
There are three rod holders, too. Directly behind the cockpit of the kayak are two rod holders that are flat built into the deck. The other is a fixed rod holder that pivots toward the cockpit’s front.
Plus, the swiveling rod holder gives you leverage in grabbing or readying your rig whenever you are ready to start your angling session.
It can only hold one person at a time but can carry you and your items up to 250 pounds. Beyond that, you may find your kayak unstable, or worse, flip over and send you home dripping wet.
These are the drain holes usually found around your seat or near your tankwell. If in any case, that water comes in your kayak, they work to keep you afloat by flushing out unwanted liquid from splashing or rain.
A lot of reports come in for Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS about faulty scuppers. We have not experienced the very thing that scuppers keep us from, but immediately contact the manufacturer so you can get a refund or replacement under warranty.
The Journey 10 SS has a constrained capacity for tracking or moving in a straight line. Kayak design incorporates a variety of components to track performance. The hull design of a leisure kayak without a rudder is quite important. To help in tracking, the stern of the Journey 10 SS has a skeg.
Tracing involves trade-offs, one of which is mobility. On the plus side, a kayak that tracks poorly is typically more maneuverable. This maneuverability is useful for turning around at a dead end in a canal or in narrow, meandering streams.
Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS is manufactured by a top-producing Michigan-based company so this variant is readily available at nearby US retail stores. If not, online stores and brands can offer you your ideal stock which can sometimes be cheaper than in-person stocks but sans the extra fees.
Aside from its highlight features, Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS also:
- Comes with tracks and paddles that secure your stability both on land and water
- Contains beverage holders so you can sit back and relax while you wait for your catch
- Has adjustable foot braces and protective thigh pads to ensure comfort
- Features an open cockpit for easy entry or exit
- Has shock cord deck rigging
- Has a dirty tray
Should I get it?
For enthusiastic anglers, this addition to the many angling items in your garage is indeed a must-have.
Recreational kayaks frequently have lower price tags since they are made using less expensive materials. This makes the Journey 10—and recreational kayaks in general—good choices for less experienced paddlers, along with the previously noted beginner-friendly features.
All that you need could be found in this one kayak that does more than the basic or recreational kayaks. Tankwells are easily accessible. The convenience is there among the other features Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS can offer.
On top of that, you can easily assemble and disassemble most components so you do not have a hard time moving them around.
If you fancy calm waters, then this might be the ideal kayak you can start with.
Many anglers do suggest that this is not their best bet when it comes to stability, speed, and overall performance.
- There are two types of stability for kayaks: initial stability and secondary stability. The former is when you get in on your kayak, while the latter refers to the stability when you are afloat and rowing.
Because of the shape of its hull, Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS’s initial stability is not as stable as other models. It can be shaky the first time you get in, but its secondary stability covers the deficit of the first and ensures you don’t fall over.
- You may find Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS to be a little slower than other kayaks. Not by a huge difference, but significantly noticeable as the design seems to prioritize comfort over speed.
Sun Dolphin Journey 10 vs. Journey 12 — Which is better?
Along with Journey 10, Sun Dolphin also makes Journey 12 another sit-on-top fishing kayak. The Sun Dolphin Journey 12 is 2 feet longer than Journey 10. As a result, the Journey 12 is a little bit quicker than the 10, but it also weighs a little bit more.
The storage tank well system and outfitting components of both kayaks are identical.
The scuppers are where Journey 10 and Journey 12’s designs diverge significantly. Since Journey 12 has no scupper holes whatsoever, water that enters the cockpit cannot exit the kayak. Under the paddler’s seat, the Journey 10 includes two scupper holes.
The Journey 10’s scupper holes allow water to escape from beneath your seat. The drawback is that water can splash up through these pores as well. Users frequently notice leaks appearing in the plastic at the scuppers that cause water to enter the kayak, especially with the Journey 10.
When choosing between Journey 10 and 12, paddlers may strongly consider scuppers, a frequent feature of sit-on-top kayaks.
Care Tips For Your Fishing Kayak
Whether you will go for Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS or not, we want to make sure that your kayak is in exceptional condition all year round. These are the care maintenance routine we follow so we can readily use our kayak for planned or spontaneous fishing trips.
- Prior to cleaning, take away any loose equipment and accessories, and after cleaning, make sure to completely let everything dry.
- Use some mild soap and water with a sponge occasionally (e.g., 2-4 times a season) to remove accumulated dirt and stains from the kayak’s exterior and inside. Avoid using any abrasives.
- Polyethylene kayaks deteriorate in the sun, turning more brittle and faded over time. Make sure to treat both the interior and the outside of the kayak with a UV protection spray on plastic kayaks to lessen the negative effects of UV rays. Although there are many options, 303 Aerospace Protectant is well-known among anglers for kayak care.
- For deformed hulls, try placing the kayak in the sun for a few hours to soften the plastic. Then, you can attempt to force the kayak back into its former shape. Do not overdo it to avoid permanent damage.
- Always check your kayak before transport and use. Make sure all the components are complete and in good condition. Track scratches or any damage and address them before going out in the water again so you can make the most out of your trip.
To Buy or Not To Buy
Budget could be your deal-breaker for buying Sun Dolphin Journey 10 SS. Aside from considering the kayak’s features, you need quite the leeway in your budget to row this on your next fishing trip.
However, if you have set your eyes on buying a kayak, specifically this one, it could give you extra mobility and an upgraded experience on the water!