When you are into fishing, you wouldn’t want all of your tools and pieces of equipment cluttered and occupy more space than it needs. Aside from its sore in the eye, finding things you need will be much more complex and could sabotage a supposedly fun fishing experience. Tackle boxes and bags come in handy and are so effective in keeping your things organized. It’s where you can store all your lines, lures, and other tools, make them more accessible when needed.
But how do you find the best tackle bag or tackle box for fishing? What factors do you consider in finding the best one that fits your needs? What are the options you have available? These are the questions that this article is trying to answer. We will elaborate on the essentials to consider in buying a tackle box and several available options in the market.
Things to Consider in Buying a Tackle Box
You need to know and consider several things when you’re choosing the best tackle box and tackle bag for fishing. First, you need to know the types of tackle boxes and their differences and, second, know the features that you should look for for each type.
Hard Tackle Storage Boxes
Most of the hard tackle storage boxes are made of plastic because this material is lighter and is not destroyed easily after too much exposure to the water. However, this does not assure that tackle boxes are waterproof. You would still need to check if what you’re buying won’t leak in water and is waterproof since you would want to keep everything inside the tackle box dry and safe. Remember that it’s sometimes unavoidable for your tackle boxes to be in contact with the water in your fishing adventure.
Aside from plastic tackle boxes, there are also tackle boxes made of metal. Although this is, of course, more durable, it weighs more heavily than its plastic counterparts. Unlike plastic as well, they may quickly get dents, and they absorb too much heat, which would be harmful to the contents of your tackle box, especially when you’re out there under direct sunlight.
Now, what are some of the downsides you should decide to buy a tackle box? Because its defined boxy shape might limit the number of contents, you can place inside the box. It is not as versatile and as accommodating as a tackle bag or a backpack. Sometimes, tackle boxes are also hard to carry around, especially when your hands carry something more essential for fishing.
Features to look out for:
Aside from the handle strength and the sturdiness of the tackle box’s hinges, there are other factors that you should look for. We divide them into two subtypes:
- Tray Style Tackle Boxes are the most common type that features several trays to organize all your tools based on their sizes. The trays can be lifted in and out of the box so that this style can be more convenient.
- Tackle Boxes With Drawers – instead of trays, this type of tackle box has sliding drawers that allow you to access your essentials easily. The drawers also have varying sizes to allow you to arrange your needs by their sizes.
Know, however, that there are tackle boxes that combine both the tray and the drawer features, most often called racked tackle boxes.
Soft Tackle Boxes or Tackle Bags
Instead of plastic, this more flexible type of tackle storage often is made of nylon. You can hang it on your shoulders easily, so it gives your hands more space and would allow you to carry more essentials and navigate around. Because of its pockets and other small storage features, tackle bags, compared to hard tackle boxes, would allow you to carry and organized more essentials like knives, cameras, flashlights, and even rods that come in separate pieces.
Soft tackle boxes are lighter than hard ones, so they would be easier to carry around. One issue that you should be wary of is its durability, for it might easily tear if you put in too much stuff that it could no longer carry. You also need to be extra careful and check if the tackle bag you’re buying is waterproof to keep your essentials secured and dry.
Best Tackle Boxes and Bags Reviews
Now that you know all the essential features that you should look out for when buying your tackle bags, you are now ready to choose the best tackle bag for fishing from all the top models that we compare and review here:
- This bag is lightweight at around 56oz. with dimensions 2.6 x 7.9 x 17.7 in.
- It has eleven to eighteen independent rooms for storage, each of different sizes.
- It comes with four trays that could also help you with storage.
- Its main bag also features a movable clapboard.
- The product comes with a one-year warranty.
If you’re looking for sufficient storage space, then you should consider buying this tackle backpack. With its water-resistant nylon material, you can assure its quality and durability. Not only is it long-lasting, but it also has more than ten storage rooms, separated cleverly to allow you to organize as many tools as possible.
Aside from it is lightweight, it also comes with an adjustable main compartment, quality zippers, and thick padded straps to give you the comfort you desire in your outdoor activity. It also has reflective strips that would come in handy at night when you’re in the middle of the dark.
- A lot of storage
- Features a tray
- Comfortable to use
- Inside linings are reportedly weak
- Top zipper challenging to open
- This product measures 15.75 x 10.8 x 8.2 in and weighs around 2.62 pounds.
- Its features are fishing line dispensers, zippered side pockets, front tool holsters, and padded shoulder straps.
- The dividers of this bag are adjustable.
- It has high-quality buckles, latches, and zippers.
This imported tackle bag promises many things that could help you store and organize all your essentials in your fishing adventure. Although smaller in size relative to other tackle bags, this is easier to carry and features a waterproof and skid-resistant molded base that prevents the bag from sagging. Its design is such that it could hold up to four tackle boxes. It has good pockets that would allow you to store your essentials like lures and pliers. Straps are padded to keep you comfortable.
- A lot of pockets
- Features fishing line dispensers and plier holders
- Padded straps for comfort
- Skid-resistant molded base
- Difficult to carry around for it could be a bit heavy
- This product is made of nylon construction and weighs around 78 oz.
- It can hold at most six #3600 style trays.
- Aside from the front web loops it has that could help organize your tools, it also features base pads that could reduce wear and help keep your bag dry and clean.
This storage backpack is remarkable for its plenty of storage and flexibility. Its upper storage is large enough to fit most of your essentials, plus it could fit four trays in the lower compartment. Not only does it give your tools sufficient space, but it is also lightweight and comfortable with its adjustable padded straps. It has more than five outside pockets that could make your tools easier to access and store.
- Could store many trays
- Space is sufficient
- Durable material
- Padded straps for comfort
- Several issues with the bag’s seams
- KastKing Fishing Tackle bags are made of durable nylon material, weighing from around 1.2 to 1.4 kg.
- It could fit more than five trays of different models, featuring more than ten pockets.
- It has a hydrophobic coating that could shed moisture from the inside.
- Its inner PVC layer also protects the bag from any possible damage.
If you’re looking for tackle bags that could fit the most amount of trays, then you would be delighted to buy KastKing Fishing Tackle Bags. There are around six models to choose from, each with amazing features that could help you store your essentials. Its key features are its durable material, water resistance, organized pockets, and comfortable shoulder straps. It also is very flexible, for you could choose between storing your trays horizontally or vertically.
- Very well-protected
- Durable material
- Flexible pockets and storage spaces
- Comfortable shoulder straps
- A bit expensive compared to other brands
- This bag is made of polyester, weighing around 3.6 pounds, with dimensions 16.4 x 13.9 x 10.2 inches.
- Its fabric is water-resistant, and its straps are adjustable.
- You can choose between carrying this using your hands or hanging it on your shoulder.
This tackle bag assures its durability because of its polyester material and its double-stitched seams. It features many components that could be very useful in storing all your essentials: main compartment top loading has four utility boxes, a compartment for your sunglasses for easy storage and access, accessory pockets that zip, and zipped exterior side pockets as well. Aside from its padded shoulder straps, it has a carry handle wrapped in Velcro to add more comfort as you carry this bag.
- Size does not consume too much space
- Organized compartments
- Comfortable to use
- Some complaint of easily damaged pockets
- You could choose between three sizes. Small measures 4 x 3 x 1.3 in, medium measures 6.3 x 3.5 x 1.7 in, and large measures 7.8 x 1.2 x 1.8 in.
- It has 12 compartments having a maximum depth of 1.2 x 1 x 0.7-inch depth for small, 16 compartments having a maximum depth of 2.7 x 1.1 x 0.7-inch depth for medium, and 30 compartments having 7 x 3.1 x 0.8-inch depth for large.
This is a lightweight plastic tackle box that you can easily place in your bag or your vest. Featuring a dozen storage compartments, this can surely help you organize all of your tools and essentials. Not only that, for this tackle box is also waterproof, so you don’t need to worry about it when you bring it in your fishing adventure. You can choose between three sizes: small, medium, and large, each weighing differently. Its elegant orange design makes it easier to see.
- You can choose from three sizes
- A lot of compartment
- Surely waterproof
- Durable construction
- Pins that hold hinges may slip out easily.
- This plastic tackle box comes in several colors.
- It weighs around 6 pounds and comes with three extendable trays and slots that could hold racks you use for your spinnerbaits or buzz baits.
This box comes with two trays, which are sufficient for the storage of your tools. It also has 136 pieces of tackles that are assorted. Aside from this number of storage, this tackle box also contains tips that may be useful for beginners in fishing. Secure and sturdy, it features a latch that makes the box easy to open.
- It comes with two trays
- It contains helpful fishing guides
- It includes 136 pieces of tackles
- Assorted tackles may be of low quality
- This box has three latches that could tightly seal it.
- It comes with more than a dozen compartments for storage and is very waterproof.
- It is transparent, and contents can easily be seen from the outside for easier access.
This designed storage equipment is the most affordable among all the options here. Although it could be pretty limited, the box is sufficient to store and organize a dozen of your lures. Because of its little compartments, this is easier to carry but could not store most of the tools you would bring to your fishing adventure.
- Simple design
- Tightly sealed
- You can’t store much using the box
You know the things to consider when your buying tackle bags and tackle boxes are essential before going fishing. The storage of your tools and essentials is among the top priority that you have as an angler. With all the options that have been presented to you, you can now choose the best that would satisfy your needs when it comes to storage. Examine the amount you are willing to pay for the product and, of course, examine the quality you are paying. Consider the number of tools you have and assess which tackle bags and boxes would be most appropriate for you.