Outdoor activities necessitate several tools not only for the enhancement of your experience but also to assure your survival. Emergency preparedness is one crucial aspect, for your safety must be among your priorities in your adventure. Watches are survival gears you must have in your possession.
However, you could not choose just any watch. You need to carefully examine if your watch has all the important components that make up a survival watch. To help you with this, we discuss what to consider in choosing the best watch for hunting and fishing. Furthermore, we also present the best watches from different brands so that you have an expanded set of options you can examine.
Things to Consider in Buying the Best Survival Watches for Fishing
To further expand your knowledge about survival watches, here are the types of survival watches you can choose from. Each has different features and uses and the important factors and components that you need to consider if you are looking for the best watch for hunting and fishing.
- The Navigation Watch – nowadays, survival watches can display more than time and crucial navigational information. With this, you need to consider additional features like date, barometer, temperature gauge, altimeter, perpetual calendar, moon phase, tide graph, GMT indicator, and others. Aside from this, this type of watch could also work as G.P.S. more than time-tellers.
- The G-shock Watch – this type of watch functions almost the same as the navigation watch but is more rugged and preferred by militaries. However, some of the g-shock watches do not feature thermometers.
- Survival Kit Watch – this is also known as paracord watch. Aside from essential features like a watch and compass, this also has a flint, a whistle, and a fire starter scraper. This is super adjustable so that it can accommodate your wrist easily.
Additional Things to Consider
Among the things that you should consider are the following:
- Adjustability – you want to make sure that the wrist strap can accommodate your wrist. It should not be too loose, for it might fall off, but not too tight as well, for it might feel uncomfortable. There are several types of wrist strap adjustments depending on the kind of watch you’re buying. Consider the versatility of the adjustment. Consider what the strap is made of (e.g., rubber, metal), for the material might also irritate your skin.
- Features – you don’t want to buy survival watches with minimal features. It would help to examine which features are much needed in your fishing or hunting activities, like a compass or temperature gauge. The more features there are in a watch, the more expensive it could be to identify which is necessary, for some features in a costly watch may not be needed at all.
- Durability – make sure that your watch does not break easily. Durability must be one of your priorities, for you would want a long-lasting product. Consider how water-resistant the watch is, especially if you’re going to go fishing. When you’re on an adventure, there are unavoidable circumstances like raining or being submerged in water altogether, and these are situations you need to consider, so you need watches that are resistant to water, dust, or much heat.
- Size and Weight – you want to wear a comfortable watch, so you would like to consider its size and its Weight. You don’t want to go around wearing heavy watches, which may hinder or obstruct your adventure. You don’t want any additional weight, especially when you’re in an outdoor activity. At the same time, you have to make sure that the watch display is readable, that you don’t have to exert much effort to understand what is being displayed on the screen.
- Battery – consider as well the longevity of your device’s battery. Because you would be going out for quite a long time, you need to function for several hours. Also, identify how battery replacements and charging are made.
Best Survival Watches for Fishing Reviews
Here are our top picks for the best survival watches for fishing that you can choose from:
- Display Type: Digital
- Case diameter: 50 millimeters
- Band Material: Nylon
- Item weight: 2.72 Ounces
If you like hunting, fishing, or trekking, you surely need a watch like Suunto Traverse Alpha. With its design developed following military standards, the fiber-glass reinforced case of this watch makes it rugged. This also features a nylon strap and stainless steel buttons, and bezel.
Its rechargeable Li-Ion battery could make the watch last longer for two straight weeks when it is in time mode and for 10 hours in G.P.S. mode.
What makes this watch more remarkable is its ability to record where and when you shoot because of its automatic shot detection feature. It could also assist you in going back home because of its automatic breadcrumb trail function. Aside from this, there are also other exciting functions like sunrise or sunset alerts and moon phase calendar features. Along with its built-in flashlight is its altimeter and barometer you could readily use in your outdoor activity.
- Rugged built
- It has a lot of features
- Desirable appearance
- Battery lasts only ten hours when in G.P.S. mode
- Quite expensive
- 200M Water Resistance
- Chronograph Display
- Tough Solar Power
- Multiband 6 Atomic Timekeeping
- Duplex LC-Display
What’s admirable about this watch is its durability. With its ability to resist water up to 200 meters deep, impact and centrifugal forces, and even high water pressure, you can trust the longevity and competence of this brand. It has a chronograph display that could not only show you what time it is, but it also functions as a compass, among others. It also has its iconic design that has made the watch remarkable over time.
This Digital watch features a Multiband 6 Atomic Timekeeping to make sure it displays the accurate time. This is easy to navigate and manipulate and is very user-friendly. This product is dominantly black and is made up of a rubber wrist strap.
- Iconic design
- Chronograph display
- Very water-resistant
- Quite expensive
- MULTI-FUNCTION: barometer, altimeter, thermometer, weather forecast, time, date functions
- SMART TRACKING FISHING INFORMATION: Six fishing places can be tracked, including air pressure, temperature, and fishing water depth. Smart remind suitable fishing time, grading fishing tips.
- WATERPROOF FOR DAILY USE: 50M Water Resistant, HANDWASH, SWIMMING, NO PROBLEM! Feel free to wear the watch when you are showering, swimming.
This watch has a straightforward design and also simple features. This is designed especially for fishing because of its features like its ability to track air pressure for six fishing places regardless of wherever you are. This can also help you identify the appropriate fishing time, incorporating barometer, altimeter, weather forecast, thermometer, and other time functions.
Furthermore, this watch features complete countdown and casting frequency management functions. This is waterproof up to 50 meters for around 10 minutes.
- It comes with many features
- Could track air pressure
- Limited water resistance
- Adjustable black 22mm resin strap fits up to 8-inch wrist circumference.
- 100-hour chronograph; 24-hour countdown timer; 3 vibrating & audible daily, weekday, or weekend alarms; shock resistant to I.S.O. standards
- 24-hour military time mode; 3 time zones; occasion reminders; hydration timer; month, day & date calendar
- Water-resistant to 200m (660 ft): In general, suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports
This watch is designed especially for prolonged water exposure and immersion. With its durable and comfortable plastic resin body, the band of this watch can easily be secured with its buckle closure. Weighing just around 6 ounces, this watch is very comfortable to wear. Among its primary features are a calendar, compass, and backlight.
Because of its affordable price, this watch was bought by many. If you don’t want to wear too bulky or oversized watches, this watch is for you. Along with its stopwatch feature, timer, and alarm functions, it also has an Indiglo backlight which is very easy to manipulate. Although the display watch is negative, it is large, clear, and very readable.
- Very affordable
- Easy to manipulate and operate
- Remarkable backlight feature
- Only features basic functions
- Unavailability of replacement bands
- Band gets scratched easily.
- Case/bezel material: Stainless steel, Stainless Steel Band, One-touch 3-fold Buckle, 100-meter water resistance
- Mineral Glass / Spherical Glass, Electro-luminescent backlight, Thermometer, World time, Fishing mode
- Daily alarm, Hourly time signal, Auto-calendar (to the year 2099), 12/24-hour format, Button operation tone on/off
- Regular timekeeping, Accuracy: ±30 seconds per month, Approx. battery life: 2 years on SR927W X 2, Size of case/total weight: 47 X 41.5 X 12.8 mm/135 g
This watch has good durability considering its stainless steel material. It is easy to adjust with its one-touch 3-fold buckle. Its spherical glass and its electro-luminescent backlight make its display more elegant and easier to read. It features a thermometer and could be adjusted into the fishing mode as well. Aside from the thermometer, this watch also comes with other essential features like a moon data display, a 1/100-second stopwatch, and a countdown timer. It has a battery life of two years, so you are assured of the watch’s longevity, and you don’t need to worry a lot about changing the battery from time to time.
- It comes with many features
- Long battery life
- Lightweight yet durable
- Use of non-standard battery
- Instrument setup is a bit complicated
- Solar-powered sport watch featuring atomic timekeeping, world time in 48 cities, and E.L. backlight
- Features 1/100-second stopwatch, daily alarm with snooze, 12- and 24-hour formats, tide/moon graph, 31 time zones, and day/date/month calendars
- 50 mm resin case with mineral dial window
- Water-resistant to 200 m (660 ft): In general, suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports
This watch is lightweight and is very comfortable to wear yet very dependable and durable as well. Its plastic case and bond are so tough, and it features a solar-recharge system that could make the watch battery last up to 10 years. The function buttons are chromed knurled, making it challenging and easy to use; also, protective rings cover the main button, protecting it from too much impact and keeping debris out. This watch can keep atomic time via the multiband calibration radio signals. However, if you wish, you can opt to update the time manually.
Some of the handy functions of this watch are an altimeter or barometer, compass, thermometer, and calendar. Also, this watch features a snooze button alarm. Even in deep, cold conditions, the watch remains very comfortable to wear because of its design.
- Very durable even after prolonged use
- Battery life is long
- Elegant design
- Negative display
- The display is difficult to read
- The bad clasp can scratch very easily
- Black resin case and matte stainless steel top ring; LCD with time, seconds, day, and date; black resin strap with buckle closure
- Altimeter, barometer, temperature reference, weather station, 5 alarms, 8 lap memory, stopwatch, countdown timer, world time, adjustable LCD contrast, 60 dots-matrix, and backlight functions
- Quartz Movement
- Case Diameter: 52.5mm
This watch focuses more on weather information, making it useful in your hunting or fishing activity. Its stainless steel bezel ring and its resin band and case construction make the product durable and shock-resistant. Its essential features are temperature reference, barometer, altimeter, and weather station that can track altitude changes, windchill, wind speed, and other important information.
Its alarm and timekeeping functions are also accurate, with its readable negative display and bright backlight function.
This watch is water-resistant for up to 165 feet, making it most useful for water adventures like light water sports and river crossings.
- Very affordable
- Useful features
- It does not feature a compass
- Premium multisport G.P.S. watch with elevated wrist heart rate technology; Physical size: 47 x 47 x 15.5 millimeter
- Outdoor sensors, including G.P.S. and Glonass satellite reception and 3 axis compass with gyroscope and barometric altimeter
- Put key stats at your fingertips with the performance widget that shows the effects and progress of your workouts. Battery life smartwatch mode up to 2 weeks; GPS/HR mode up to 24 hours. UltraTrac mode up to 60 hours without wrist heart rate
This watch is made remarkable by its heart rate detection function. Bezel made out of stainless steel, this features sunrise and sunset times. This is used especially if you want to detect your workout progress. Among its features are G.P.S. and GLONASS satellite reception and a 3-axis compass. This can also work like a gyroscope and barometric altimeter.
This has a 10 A.T.M. water rating, meaning it can be waterproof for up to 100 meters deep underwater. It has a sapphire lens and is scratch-resistant.
- Modern features
- Detection of workout progress
- Elegant design
- The altimeter is not very accurate
You, of course, want an affordable watch that has the most valuable features and could suit your needs. The things to consider in buying the best survival watches for fishing would help you look for one. If you are trying to find a quality watch, we recommend Casio Men’s Outgear watch considering its multiple features, durability, and affordability. This works well for any outdoor adventure you desire to undertake. More importantly, you would also want to decide which would fit your need at the moment.