Fishing for money always requires a quality fishing rod. There are a couple of things that you need to consider when deciding on what fishing rod to buy, and this article will guide you in doing so. This article would also provide several options of best bass fishing rods for the money that you can choose from depending on what best fits your situation.
How to Choose the Best Rod for Beginner Bass Fishing
Before knowing how to choose the fishing rod that would best fit you, you need to understand several fishing rod measurements and specifications first. These are attributes to your fishing rod that would help you know what to look for and what to consider. Being familiar with these specifications would make it easier for you to decide.
1. Choosing the correct length
For fishing rods, one usually measures from the end of the butt all the way to the tip. Fishing rods length vary and could be as short as four feet or as long as fourteen feet. Rods that are longer may be disassembled so that they may be carried easily. Choosing the rod length depends highly on where you desire to fish and what you would be fishing.
Here are several things to remember about fishing rod lengths:
- If you plan on casting on shorter distances or if you’re using lightweight lures, shorter rods would best fit you. Shorter rods can also be manipulated easily in case you are fighting with a fish, so big fish gaming might also necessitate short fishing rods. Aside from this, shorter rods are also helpful in trolling – this is when you attach lines to a moving boat.
- Casting farther distances would require longer rods. Surfcasting, then, might find rods of this length helpful. Surfcasting is when you fish directly from the shoreline instead of doing it from a boat. Longer rods would also be much helpful if you decide to catch flying fish or if you plan on using heavier lures.
2. Deciding on the weight of your rod
You need to know how much weight your rod could carry and how strong the rod is. The strength of your rod also depends on the type of fish you want to catch and the type of lures and baits you will be using.
Rod weights may be measured based on the lure’s weight it is designed to cast or measured by the “pound test.” This is about the fishing line weight the fishing rod could handle.
3. Be knowledgeable about the rod’s action
Perhaps you’ve heard the word “action” many times when looking for fishing rods. What does this really mean? This refers to the point on the rod where the tool bends. Rod action may range from being ultralight to extra heavy. Heavy action rods bend closer to their tips while those with lighter actions bend closer to the rod’s butt.
Stiffer backbone on the rod is also one character of heavy action rods. This would be more appropriate to be used for large fish. For smaller species of fish, a lighter action rod would be more fitting.
4. Know the material used
Fishing rods may be made of fiberglass, graphite, or a combination of both. If you desire to know the best fishing pole for bass, you need to know the materials used. The functionality and the kind of fishing you will have would dictate what material your fishing rod must be made of.
Graphite rods are more lightweight and are stiffer. However, they are more brittle than rods made of fiberglass. Also, rods made of graphite are more sensitive. The drawback is that these types of rods are much more expensive than fiberglass.
Heavier rods are usually made of fiberglass. These types of rods, however, are more flexible compared to graphite rods. Because of this, they would be very difficult to break. This type of rod is the less expensive option.
If you want a balance between the two, however, you can always opt to choose a combination of the two, which would be great if you fish in various locations and if you target multiple species of fish.
5. Decide on what reel to use
The type of reel you will be used also determines the rods you should buy. There are two types of reels: spinning or casting. Each is appropriate for a particular need.
Spinning reels are like automatic transmissions on cars. This is ideal for beginners because it allows lesser control while maintaining greater rates of success. Also, they don’t easily get tangled. Lighter lures and baits would work well with this type of spinning reel.
If spinning reels can be compared to automatic transmissions, casting reels are manual transmissions in a car. It would allow more control, and you can use your thumb to maneuver the cast’s accuracy. However, compared to spinning reels, casting reels are more difficult to use. Heavier artificial lures would also work best for this.
Tips in Buying the Best Rod for Beginner Bass Fishing
Now that you know the factors to consider in choosing fishing rods, what are several tips you could remember when you’re buying one? Here are a few of them:
- Consider what level of fisherman you are. For beginners who plan to fish less frequently, you may opt to buy rods that are less expensive. For seasoned fishermen, however, investing in something that would last longer would be more appropriate. For beginners, spinning rods would also be a better choice than casting rods.
- Identify the location. You also need to know where you will be fishing. If you need to travel to your location, consider buying that which you can break down into several pieces for easier transport.
- Decide on the bait you will use. If you prefer using live baits, it would be wiser if you choose more sensitive rods. Stiffer rods are for those who prefer using a lure.
- Hold the rod to test its comfort. Make sure that you feel comfortable when using the rod, so you need to feel it. Some rods have anti-slip grip and some are foamed. There are also fishing rods whose handles are made of cork. You also need to decide on the length of your handle. There are longer and shorter handles and each has its own purpose. Longer handles allow anglers to hold the rod with both hands, which is appropriate for fishing large species. Shorter handles, in contrast, would work best for roll casting which happens generally when casting at shorter distances.
- Check for defects. Make sure that there are no cracks in your rod, as it would break your rod after several uses.
- Make sure to check the guides. Guides are the loops that allow the lines to be attached to the rod. These guides may be made of ceramic or metal. If there are more guides, you would expect that the quality of the rod is better, making the line more controlled.
- Identify the power of your rod. Power refers to the amount it takes to bend the fishing rod. Rods having more power (which is sometimes called taper or weight) would bend easier compared to those having lesser power. You need to combine power and action effectively. There are light/ultralight power, moderate power, and heavier power rods. Light power is for species like panfish because they are small. Moderate power is more suitable when paired with crankbaits and spinnerbaits. Finally, heavier power rods would best work with top waters, jigs, and other baits that require less bending of the rod.
4 Best Rod for Beginner Bass Fishing
Now that you know how to choose the best rod for beginner bass fishing and some tips in buying some, here are all the four best fishing rods you can find to expand your options:
Because this rod is made of solid carbon fiber, you would expect that this is very strong and durable. This also makes the rod more sensitive, meaning you can always feel what’s happening on the line.
Lightweight and comfortable, you can use this tool for a very long time with your hands feeling sore.
This fishing rod got its reputation for being lightweight but at the same time strong and sensitive because of its solid carbon fiber construction. Not only is it known for its power and sensitivity, but this rod also has smooth guides and reel seats that are very durable. Its guides are made of ceramic that are spaced perfectly to make sure that line flows are friction-free, allowing it to effectively feed through and run back more freely.
Because of its 4-piece design, this rod is easier to carry and would be very appropriate for those who need to travel to their fishing location. The high-density EVA foam handle of this rod also helps you be very comfortable over the course of your fishing adventure.
This affordable fishing rod has an IM8 rod blank material. Along with this are frame guides made of stainless steel that would allow your fishing line to move freely and effectively. Aside from this, Okuma’s Tournament fishing rod also has zirconium guide inserts that would be best for braided line.
Both for casting and spinning models, this fishing rod has Fuji ACS trigger reel seat. Its grip handle is made of cork, so you expect this product to be very comfortable when used. Backed with a lifetime warranty, this might be the best bass fishing rod you’re looking for.
This fishing rod is made with a 24-ton graphite material that makes its design lightweight, durable, and balance. The guide rings of this fishing rod are made of light and hard metal, featuring a ceramic insert that could withstand heavy line pressure and could provide long-lasting durability even without having to add too much weight to the rod, making it comfortable to use.
The real seat of this fishing rod is corrosion-resistant comes with stainless steel hoods. The high-density EVA design of this rod contributes to the increased durability and sensitivity of the product, allowing you to experience fishing for a long time without having to feel a lot of fatigue. More amazingly, this product comes with a one-year warranty.
The options that this review gives you would allow you to properly choose the best rod for beginner bass fishing. Just always take note of all the considerations in selecting the best one. All it takes is the correct balance of action, power, sensitivity, and durability. If you achieve this, then you’ll have a more worthwhile fishing experience.